Getting the RPi camera going/settings

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
radiogareth

Getting the RPi camera going/settings

Post by radiogareth » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 pm

I've hooked up a RPi camera to my Portsdown and the red camera LED lights up. However, I can't seem to persuade the system to use it as a video source. I think I have twigged correctly that it needs to be set to MPeg2. I'm receiving the animated testcard across the shack OK on 437 and 333KS.
Am I missing something simple before I remove the camera and retest on a different RPi?

Thanks

Gareth

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Getting the RPi camera going/settings

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi

Once you have selected the Pi Camera as the source, you can select either H264 or MPEG-2 and either should work. However, if you are only using ugly mode at 333, I would suggest H264.

When you select Pi Camera as the source and transmit, by default, the camera image should show on the touchscreen (unless you have turned the viewfinder off in the settings).

The other thing to try (if you have a 3.5 inch screen) is to select Output to "Comp Vid". Then select transmit and then select Pi Cam. Again the Pi Cam image should be on the touchscreen. If none of these tests work, you may need to check the Pi Cam and swap with a known working unit.

Dave G8GKQ

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 am

Interesting, I've checked all that but I get the Blue text BATC Portsdown splash screen Time to swap the camera.....

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 am

Same with a different known good camera. I'm assuming that in the absence of a RPi camera signal (even though its been selected in the menu), the default spalsh screen is sent instead?
{BATC} logo The Portsdown (BIG font) DATV Transmitter (smaller size underneath).

Puzzled....

Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Well this is VERY EMBARRASSING!! Surprisingly, plugging the Picam into the socket marked camera and not display makes it work really well. I blame messing around with Pi Zero W's doing my home security system, where the camera DOES connect to the end connector. Now to try the HDMI adaptor boards for easy remote camera mounting.
Apologies if anyone wasted time and bandwidth on this thread!

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”