Powering the Filter Modulator Board from 5.2V directly?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
dh2va

Powering the Filter Modulator Board from 5.2V directly?

Post by dh2va » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 am

After delivery of my filter modulator board from the BATC shop (thank you!), I am about to start construction of my Portsdown transmitter. I was wondering, if anybody is directly feeding the 5.2V for the Raspberry Pi to the filter modulator board? I checked the schematic diagram and I believe the board should be able to handle it. Or is there another good reason to keep the supplies separate?

73s Achim DH2VA

g0mjw

Re: Powering the Filter Modulator Board from 5.2V directly?

Post by g0mjw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:51 am

The general problem is the PI USB supply loses too much voltage so I would run it from the same supply, but not through the PI. Having said that, in an attempt to keep phase noise down, I keep the supplies separate.

Mike

dh2va

Post by dh2va » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Mike,
as I have now a complete stable test setup with some 80+ dB attenuation between Portsdown and Minitiouner, I could start serious measurements.

I do reach the given MER values (slightly above 21-22dB) at 23cm and I do get the 4-dot pattern for each state in the constellation diagram as seen in other posts and here:
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Filter_Modulator_ver2

This pattern is not related to the common power supply (supplied 5.2V separately without any changes) and also not related to the LO (tried to feed from signal generator with no improvement.

I know that the 4-dot pattern is purely academic as the Portsdown will perform nicely like it is, but I would like to give it a try:
I have the feeling that the group of the Nyquist filter is not as flat as it could be leading to this symptom. Simulations in LTSpice show this kind of behaviour which 'could' be tweaked.

Is it correct, that the Nyquist filters are a compromise between power outside our main signal (the 'shoulders') and minimizing inter-symbol inteference ISI? If so, what was the rationale for choosing the dimensioning for the current Nyquist filters?

73s Achim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Achim

The rationale was to have something easy to build, not too expensive, that worked. We used a switched capacitor filter at 500 KS and below; that gave us the good brick-wall cutoff that we needed to suppress out of band transmissions, but is a bit sharp and causes some distortion.

The switched capacitor filter was not fast enough for 1 MS and above, and the band edges generally further away, so we went with good-enough LC filters.

If we had done anything more complex, we would have started to approach the price point of SDRs and the DATV Express, which do give much nicer constellations and out-of-band suppression.

As ever, many design compromises, and perhaps we could have done better with more optimisation. However, on strong signals it doesn't matter, and the impact of the modulation errors is minimal (< 1dB) on weak signals because the error is nearly drowned out by noise.

John, who did the LC filter design, might be able to tell you the criteria that he used.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:48 am

No idea, you will need to ask the designers. I think the original Portsdown filtering was a little too tight but that has been resolved and it will be OK for DVB-S2. It is a compromise between ISI and bandwidth.

I am currently testing with a lime mini,1080p H264 and the results at 4 Ms/s are stunning. I think we need to improve our video codecs and get away from the standard ones to improve now.

Mike

dh2va

Post by dh2va » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you Mike and Dave!
So I believe I am on the right track.. I am willing to try and play around with the component values of the existing Nyquist filters and keep the architecture. It will be interesting to see how MER and bandwidth are related :D

Achim

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”