Portsdown Update News

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown Update News

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 pm

It's been a difficult few weeks for the Portsdown software team. The Raspberry Pi Foundation released an update to their software that affected us in 2 ways:

Firstly, they had made an error in the compiling options for the H264 encoding software which disabled H264 transmissions. I pointed out the error and they have corrected it in their development software, but have yet to put the correction in the general release.

Secondly, and without warning or documentation, they changed the way that the camera talks to the software which disabled the Pi Camera for H264 encoding. After asking what had changed, Evariste F5OEO has now identified a fix but it needs a significant rewrite to incorporate the fix in the Portsdown software.

Now that I understand the issues, I have published updates (201809050 and 201809051) for both the Stretch and Jessie versions of the Portsdown software that are safe to use.

If you have lost the use of the H264 Pi Camera modes (you can test this by checking the if the viewfinder works when you transmit H264), then you need to apply the fix detailed here (FOR STRETCH ONLY) after your update: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=5604&p=16549#p16549

Once the corrected Raspberry Pi software is released, I will publish a further update to incorporate it.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”