QRP DATV

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
VK5YYY

QRP DATV

Post by VK5YYY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:40 am

Here is Portsdown-under during my transmission this morning to the Bluff
250mW (measured) into a cheap nasty and slightly modified Ebay Lincho Patch antenna gain unknown (7-10ish?)
The new 500mW PA sports a saw filter that covers the VK 23cm ATV band
How many saw filters can you spot, I think there is room for another one on the second LO that will bring it to 4
Each one cheers the MER up a bit
A MER of 6-8 was recieved at 55km line of sight, so on the boarderline

The 920 webcam produced a surprisingly stable picture throughout the broadcast
Even though the the MER was marginal, the picture hardly pixelated and the sound didn't crack or break
It's not a sports cam and the focus isn't designed for long distance, but great stable encoding
When a car went passed there was a blurred trail behind the image till the GOP caught up

Having ran it for half and hour the batteries were still showing 4 bars
The Portsdown-under was originally designed to show other Hams the low cost way to get started, that's why it's spread out
It uses 2 local oscillators with a base band that up-converts to the output frequency, like a professional modulator
This give plenty of chances for filtering which obviously pays dividends at low power

The saw filters are cheap on Ali-Express and the hardest thing is to relate the part number to the data
You find the 3db points on a saw device are much more generous than the rated band width
They are fiddly to solder but with an art knife and copper tape you can do anything, after the first 20 it gets easier
Sacrificing 3 db insertion lost is a small price to pay for a clean signal

Cheers Roger VK5YYY
Attachments
layout
layout
IMG_0181.jpg (202.91 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

VK5YYY

Re: QRP DATV

Post by VK5YYY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:42 am

portsdown-under
portsdown-under
IMG_0178.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

VK5YYY

Post by VK5YYY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:43 am

500mW PA with saw filter
500mW PA with saw filter
IMG_0180.jpg (167.72 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

VK5BI

Post by VK5BI » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:48 am

It looks like you have got too much spare time on your hands Roger. Now that winter is over and I have a couple of weeks leave coming up soon i will be heading out of the city for some portable operating. I have been ready for some time but the weekend weather has not been kind.

Wayne

VK5BI

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”