Choice of Touchscreen: 7 inch or 3.5 inch?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Choice of Touchscreen: 7 inch or 3.5 inch?

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:59 am

Since introducing support for the Element 14 7 inch screen (in addition to the Waveshare 3.5 inch screen), I am often asked which screen constructors should choose. Both are supported with different caveats. Here are the pros and cons in no particular order:
  • Capability. Both screens are capable of accessing all the Portsdown's features, except that the 7 inch screen disables the Raspberry Pi video output, so this is not available with the 7 inch screen.
  • Form Factor. The 7 inch screen means that your Portsdown needs to be larger (at least 3U if rack-mounted). The 3.5 inch screen allows for smaller builds.
  • Ease of Mounting. The 3.5 inch screen is difficult to panel mount. The 7 inch screen has screw fixings and there are some very nice commercial enclosures available for it.
  • Responsiveness. The 7 inch screen appears to be more responsive, as it is updated at >20 fps, whereas the 3.5 inch screen is only updated at about 3 fps.
  • Reliability. A number of constructors have had the 3.5 inch screen fail, and had support problems from Chinese vendors. The 7 inch screen seems more reliable and has the after-sales support that you would expect from a major UK vendor.
  • FreqShow. Freqshow works with both screens, but it uses touchpad and cursor mode with the 7 inch screen, so is not so intuitive.
  • Brightness. The 7 inch screen is brighter than the 3.5 inch screen - some have even complained that it is too bright indoors.
  • Wow Factor. The 7 inch screen looks great!
  • Support. I am aiming to continue to support both screens (as I use both in my shack).
  • Testing. I will only test new enhancements with the 7 inch screen using the Stretch build. They should work with the older Jessie build, but I am not able to test them.
  • Cost. The 7 inch screen is about £60 whereas the Waveshare 3.5 inch screen can be purchased for under £20.
I think that the 2 overiding factors here are cost and size. Your choice!

Dave

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”