Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi Gareth

Does the screen change (go to a black raster) during boot up, or does it stay as bright as when it is turned on?

What happens when you ssh in to it?

Dave

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:43 pm

It didn't get that far Dave, it didslow then fast RED led flashing only after a couple of brief green flashes.
Well that's strange. Reformatted (again) and downloaded the image again from the foundation, its now all OK, building a new card I hope.....
All the front panel works as expected anyway on the Pi3 :-)

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:40 am

Well after a promising start with lots of green LED activity, it all came to a stop. Tried with another card (Sansdisk Ultra 16GB speed up to 98MB/s) which didn't seem to do anything different, but still stopped.
I have tried to reformat the cards in windows 10 and I see a small disk H 42.5 MB and a large disk I 14.7 GB but although it reports formatted OK when I try and write an image it stops with error 5 access denied to both H & I?
If I format with SDFormatter I can then write the image and looking at the disk in Windows shows the boot file contents.
As far as I can determine it seems to be a problem with the SD card(s) and the two partitions. With a brand new card the install is fine. I'll format the cards in my phone and try again....or am I completely on the wrong track here?
Gareth

Patrice

Post by Patrice » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am

Dave,

Is it possible to have a static address to connect by Putty ?

regards
F1NSU

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:59 am

Gareth

It is easy to end up in a situation where you can't write properly to the card. I did the other day, but solved it in Windows 10 by:
  • Right Click the Windows symbol in the taskbar and select Disk Management
  • You should see the SD Card in the list as Removable
  • Right click on each partition on the SD Card in turn and select "Delete Volume"
  • When they are all deleted, reformat it as a Simple Volume
  • Then use Win32 Disk Imager to write the new Raspbian Image to the Disk
Hope that helps

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:02 am

Patrice

Ref a static IP address.

Not easily, because I would have to hard-code it and everybody uses different sub-nets. You can check the IP address by looking at the Info from Menu 2 on the touchscreen, or plugging in an HDMI screen during boot and it will be a few lines above the log-on. You can then unplug the HDMI screen and reboot; the RPi should be on the same address.

Dave

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks for the step-by-step Dave, its helped.....

I found that having deleted all the partitions, 'format' was greyed out in Disk manager so I used SD Formatter to do a quick format.

Then back into disk management and clicked off the 'quick format'. This took a while but writing a new image then seemed to work.
Loaded it into my RPI3B+ and added the line by line commands via putty, all looking good. Gets to 'Unpacking raspi-config (20181118) over (20180518) ...' and then stops, no green light for 10 minutes so cycled the power and tried again.

Some more activity and then it ground to a halt again. I can at least access it via putty at this point. Adding the commands again says they 'exist' and 'exiting' (understandably).

Trying another of my cards that's had the same treatment as above in my Pi3 (known working on an existing card) and it refused to appear on the network!

I'm tempted to order some new SD cards as something 'weird' is clearly going on. I've managed this task previously (and flawlessly) and I can't see what I might be doing wrong. Going to make a sausage casserole now for a break, assuming I can correctly cook sausages ;-)

Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Well after repeated attempts with various combinations of formatting software, images that were supposedly the same etc. I have finally got a 16GB card working fine in my RPI3B+ :-)
I wish I knew what I did differently that has effectively evaporated a days progress, but I now have two working cards one each in a Pi3 and a Pi3B+ which is going in my boxed solution. Onward.....
Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:14 am

Interesting...I was getting continuous re-boots that somewhat strangely seemed to be linked to powering the I-Q filter module. Turns out it was my bench PSU, a switched mode unit powered by a laptop switched mode. Running off a battery pack makes everything behave. Time for a decent linear bench PSU again....
A question, I'm using the audio out from the RPi socket which I have combined vai a pair of 1K resistors. Using the RTL dongle for local FM and the audio (via a previously tested amp which worked well when driven by lineout on my PC) is a bit quiet. Need to check the spec and maybe find some gain.
Still playing with all the menus and stuff. That Freq-show is good, in fact its ALL very good :-)

Gareth

m0eyt

rpi camera / flip image

Post by m0eyt » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick Q, I'm using the standard Rpi camera board that connects via ribbon cable to the on-board connector. Is there a way to invert the image in software, reason for asking is that mechanically its easier to mount the camera upside-down so the cable doesnt need a twist, but obviously this is pointless if it cannot be corrected in software. Most of the command line capture stuff can flip the image, but before I dig into the code is there a simple mechanism?

Thanks,

Paul M0EYT.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”