Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:37 am

New Portsdown Stretch Software Release 201807290

This release improves the streamer viewer, adding the ability to monitor a stream for activity, and reconnect after the stream drops out. It also recycles the viewer if it starts in audio-only mode.

Also, it adds the ability to boot to the Stream Viewer and key a repeater input line when a valid stream is received. Full details here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Stream_Receiver.

There is an issue that sometimes the system hangs at the end of an update, on the "Rebooting" screen. I am investigating this, but in the meantime, please power off and on at this stage. As long as the screen says "Rebooting", this is perfectly safe.

Dave, G8GKQ

f1faq

Post by f1faq » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi Dave, all,

I have updated my Portsdown Stretch this morning (Release 201807290) from menu 3 without a problem
and played around with the stream viewer. I got nice pictures from GB3HV in "direct live". Saw you, Noel, ....
Had some small drops in the stream from GB3HV and/or others but confirm each time the software tries
to reconnect and with success.
Small thing with menu navigation: access to Stream viewer first time after reboot is always Ok, but if you navigate
to other menus (info / update / ...) than come back to Stream viewer, than calling a stream brings you back directly
to menu 2. After this some other problems occurs, for example asking for a reboot does no more work: BATC logo
is displayed and touch screen is no more responsive.
Good luck to chase the bug...

73s - Christian
F1FAQ
73 - Christian
F1FAQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi Christian

Thanks for the bug report. I have reproduced the problem, and note that the stream viewer process is running on the second selection (after going to info menu), but is not being displayed. It is hidden by Menu 2.

I'll take a look at the cause in the morning.

Edit. I've found a fix and it will be in the next release. In the meantime, the problem can be cleared by touching the screen in a blank area (which returns you to Menu 20) and then "Exit to Main Menu", Menu 2, Reboot.

Dave

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Thank you, Dave, for another useful update which installed without a hitch. A couple of points;
1) Now that we have a Portsdown streamer and a Portsdown stream receiver with keying facility, what more is needed to facilitate a repeater inter-linking capability?
2) In the shack, I usually power the Portsdown with a current limiting PSU that indicates power drawn. Sometimes on shut down, the power quickly falls back to a low level, whereas on other occasions, it appears to have shut down but the current stays high. After a minute or two it will fall back to a low level. If I knock off the power when the current is high, the next time I boot it, it will do a check disc scan, presumably because it was shut down before it was ready. Am I analysing the process correctly and if so, could you produce a wait screen to stop early cutting off of the power?
73 Shaun.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Shaun

Reference repeater linking: I think that it just needs you to set it up. GB3HV was fitted with its stream receive input yesterday and it seems to work well so far. Please contact Noel if you want the access information to play with it.

I am very interested in your second comment, because I have spent a good few hours over the last couple of days trying to track the non-shutdown bug down, and I had noticed that my RPi indicated low voltage (it's not on a very good PSU) when it occurred. I'm trying to prevent the fault occurring, but it is very time-consuming to fault-find. So, rather than work-round the problem as you suggest, I'm going to try to make it shut-down properly.

Thanks, Dave

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks Dave,
I don't believe that it is a power problem in my case. I don't get the low voltage symbol and I am running 5.2V straight to the GPIO pin (with an external fuse) from a 75W rated switch mode step down board.
73 Shaun.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Shaun

No, I'm not suggesting a power problem at your end - it's just that the increased current consumption provides me with a very useful pointer to the source of the problem.

Dave

M0DHP

Post by M0DHP » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 am

Hi Dave

I've upgraded to the latest version and noticed two variants of the "it won't shutdown" problem.

1. After selecting "shutdown" on menu, I see "Shutting down now" briefly, then the Portsdown logo for 90s, then it shuts down (white screen and shutdown LED goes off).

2. After selecting "shutdown", "Shutting down now" stays on the screen indefinitely (welll, I gave up after max 6 minutes).

Cheers
Ray

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 am

M0DHP wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 am
Hi Dave

I've upgraded to the latest version and noticed two variants of the "it won't shutdown" problem.

1. After selecting "shutdown" on menu, I see "Shutting down now" briefly, then the Portsdown logo for 90s, then it shuts down (white screen and shutdown LED goes off).

2. After selecting "shutdown", "Shutting down now" stays on the screen indefinitely (welll, I gave up after max 6 minutes).

Cheers
Ray
Same here with 1. and 2.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Is Jessie still being updated? I have been trying Express today to get ready for tomorrow and it is not working reliably. The TS sent is jittery and/or empty. I have another system with Stretch so will try that. Also finding Minitioune 0.8 really unreliable with video codecs, what worked one day doesn't the next. Anyone else?

Express wasn't any better on stretch - but it is rock solid on my laptop so at least I can TX something sensible.

Mike

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”