Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:53 pm

There are now 2 in-use versions of the Portsdown software. The software based on the "Jessie" operating system will continue to be updated and discussed on the original software topic: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4778.

The newer Portsdown 2018 Stretch release will have similar features to the older version, but some differences, so I will announce software changes here.

For new builds, the software can be downloaded from https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... /portsdown.

Version history:

201803271 Initial Release.
201804021 Corrected future update issues. Commence software update and edit call, locator and PIDs from touchscreen.
201804060 Full support for 7 inch Touchscreen including FreqShow.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:47 pm

New Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software Release 201804021

The latest Stretch software release introduces the following new features:

Adds support for Logitech C270 Webcam
Adds variable reset delay for webcams
Updated Test Rig software
Info screen improvements
Set Call, locator and PIDs from touchscreen
Set and select ADF Ref from touchscreen
Commence software update from touchscreen

There are a few bugs:

- Webcams cannot be used if you have a Pi Camera connected. Booting with both a Webcam and a Pi Camera results in the Webcam not working , and the shutdown and reboot functions hanging. Some (non-BATC) video capture devices (EasyCaps) may also be affected.

- DO NOT try to update from the previous Stretch software release. There is an error in the update script. To updatefrom Stretch 201803271, go to the console menu and then exit to the Linux Command line. Copy and paste the following lines:

Code: Select all

cd rpidatv/scripts
rm check_for_update.sh
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davecrump/portsdown/master/scripts/check_for_update.sh
chmod +x check_for_update.sh
cd ~
rpidatv/scripts/check_for_update.sh
This loads the correct update script and commences the update process.

Note that you cannot update to the Stretch version if you are using the older Jessie version. Your only option is a fresh build of your card.

Please post comments here.

Dave G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 pm

New Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software Release 201804060

This release adds support for the Element 14 7 inch touchscreen including partial support for FreqShow. This does not work as a touchscreen in the normal sense, but as a trackpad where you move the cursor around. It's the best that I can do! Full listing:

Repairs the linkage between frequency and band in the Console Menu
Element 14 7 inch Display improvements:
- Does not erroneously load TonTec driver
- Implements VideoView without flicker (but at 1.5 fps)
- Allows cursor operation similar to a touchpad in FreqShow
- Reduces info text size to fit screen

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 am

Can I request a new feature - the shutdown button on the main menu screen? In my new system, with the 7" touch screen driving an express, I won't have a physical button, or any interface board to fit one, and it's awkward switching menus just to turn it off.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon May 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered this, but decided against it:
  • Menu 1 Screen Space is too valuable for this functionality. I would rather use it to indicate an aspect of current status.
  • The need to select Menu 2 first provides some safeguard against accidental shutdown during normal operation.
The 7 inch screen is very responsive, so I think that you will find this not to be an issue.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 pm

New Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software Release 201804250

This release adds an RTL-FM voice receiver that uses the RTL-SDR dongle. Nine configurable preset frequencies are available. It also improves the visibility of the DATV Express firmware load, enabling USB cable problems to be detected at an early stage. Full feature listing:

Adds a comprehensive RTL_FM voice receiver (see Menu 2)
Corrects Testrig for Stretch build
Corrects SigGen Express Level Calibration above 2000 MHz
Rejects zero-length callsigns
More visibility of DATV Express start-up
Reduces occurences of 90-sec shutdown wait in Stretch
Improves utils compile scripts

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I have a new issue - with the standard case the display is upside down. Is there a way to flip it?

Edit - I have added lcd_rotate=2 to the end of /boot/config.txt and it seems to work - but is that sufficient?

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun May 13, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Mike

When they designed the 7 inch display unit for the Raspberry Pi, they selected an arbitrary display orientation. Once they had finished the design and some of the OEMs had designed cases, they found that they had selected the wrong orientation for the best viewing angle. Hence they inverted the display.

If you look at a real image on your display (after modification) from above, you will see that the colours are not as good as they are from below. The orientation was switched to achieve the best viewing experience from above. It is not critical on the Portsdown Menus as they remain readable.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri May 18, 2018 11:59 am

New Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software Release 201805150 - The Contest Edition

This release is specifically intended to make particpation in the upcoming IARU International ATV Contest easier for Portsdown users. Remember that this year the BATC is awarding a £50 Amazon Voucher to the transmitting station using a Portsdown system received at the the furthest distance (on any band).

The release adds a locator bearing calculator (on Menu 2) and makes the composite video output mode easier to use. Further details can be found here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_2018 ... 2_Software. The specific changes are:

Added new menu for Composite Video Output
More test cards and all video snaps available from video output
Sound pass-through for Comp Video out is routed to USB Audio
RTL-FM audio is routed to USB Audio if present (else RPi audio)
SnapView modified to access all video snaps
Added Locator range and bearing calculator
Menu modifications in preparation for future LimeSDR Mini support

Dave, G8GKQ

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm

New menu items did not appear after update.
Went back into update and it said I had the latest version.
Forced an update and all is well.

73 Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”