New Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
vk3gmz

Re: New Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Post by vk3gmz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Further to my previous post. The stream video hangs after about 2 frames, audio is good. Have tried to find the settimgs to reduce the quality but have not found them yet. Any clues.. ?
Running Pi3 B+ with Stretch.

Cheers.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Phil

I have just tested with Stretch on a Pi3 B+ and run into similar issues. However, the culprit was not the software, but the power supply. The consumption of a Pi 3+ is much greater than a Pi 3. Changing to a known good power supply and lead (usually the problem) cured the issue and it now streams fast-moving video to the BATC Streamer smoothly.

Check the voltage on the USB outputs of the RPi 3+ or on the GPIO pins. Anything below 4.9 volts is unacceptable.

If you did want to wind the streaming bit rate down, it is the 512K here: https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... a.sh#L1265. However, it won't reduce the load on the CPU significantly, because streaming uses the hardware H264 encoder.

Dave, G8GKQ

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 am

Awesome job Dave,
The power supply was my next train of thought, I will get a powered USB hub tomorrow and try again. If I can get it going on one then will happily get a second PI for the other stream. If the CPU load is the same and the bandwidth into the BATC is happy with the higher quality then I am to leave it as per standard config.

As a slight side issue, do know if the two streams could be possible using only one Pi.. ?

In theroy a 1.4GHz processor with a Gig of RAM should sh/t it in... ?

The Portsdown software is nice and as a Portsmouth child of the 70s I too will take some credit for your hard work...

Well done to all. :)

Phil. GMZ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:55 am

Hi Phil

It probably would be possible to run 2 streams from one RPi 3 B+. Not something that I would want to tackle, but things to think about:
  • Use some sort of udev rule to associate each EasyCap with a distinct /dev/video* device name.
  • Duplicate the streaming code in a.sh with hard-coded /dev/video* device names and stream rtmp addresses.
As for the power issue, it's probably the RPi voltage that is as much of a problem as the EasyCap voltage.

Dave

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am

Gday Dave,
Further to the EasyCap saga,
Still no luck, have tried 3 differant variants of the device. One with mono audio and four video inputs with no go at all.
One older style LR audio, video and S video inputs which works with the same fault as previously mentioned. Also tried the EasyCap that i was previously using on the old PC which is the same the above mentioned device but in a blue/silver case, this too has the same issues.

Ive tested all on good seperate supplies, the pi has 5.3v and the easycaps 5.1v still to no avail.

Have now ordered the pi3 b (not the + model)
If i get desperate i'll order new easycaps if i have too.

I did reduce the stream rate aslo with no effect as you suspected.

If you have any ides let me know, I'll keep you posted on the new pi outcome in the next couple days.

I tried to get Jessie to work on b+ also but thus far it sits there with a flashing led sequence of four slow and four fast flashes ( whatever that means )

Cheers
Phil.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Phil

I know of one other user who seems to have similar issues to you (but with a B, not a B+), although with Webcams. It maybe that there is some issue that I am missing. I hope to meet him next week and maybe we'll get to the bottom of the problem.

The Jessie load will simply not work on a B+. It needs a reasonable amount of tweaking to even boot, and then there are probably some application issues.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Also best to throw away the USB lead that comes with the Easycap.

Mike

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:04 am

Okey Dokey, So....

I have received my Pi3 B now, inserted the SD card from B+ and powered up.. Same fault condition exists.

On further investigation though noticed something that may of interest. In order to over come the power supply issues spoken about previously I am running the Pi and EasyCap on a powered USB hub. With the exact same sd card I found that the Pi 3 B+ detected the easycap STK1160 and the 4 port hub as expected, see below.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e1:0408 Syntek Semiconductor Co., Ltd STK1160 Video Capture Device
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

However, on the Pi 3 B it only detected the 4 port hub and did not see any devices beyond the hub. This may be of some value when looking at coding issues..?

Either way the original fault still exists, and Im keen to hear Dave how you go with your local mate who is having the same issues.

Im about to load Jessie into the 3 B, stay tuned....

Cheers
Phil.

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:20 am

The Jessie build was interesting also...

Same fault exists with only the first 3 or so frames going being captured, however in addition to this no audio. I went through the settings with a fine tooth comb to make sure that I had not forgotten to highlight something, settings are good.

I guess the issue is common to both builds, the easycap devices don't have crazy firmware in them do they.? Mine work fine on a Win XP build, perhaps there is a firmware upgrade that has been done in recent years, (my devices are about 5 years old I guess)

Cheers
Phil.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi Phil

Not sure about the USB hub issue, but I can see why you might be having trouble streaming. You are using an STK1160 EasyCap which is not supported. It does work with some modes, but I do not have one to test with, so I have not been able to check/optimise support for it.

As stated here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_hard ... ure_Device the BATC Shop sells the supported EasyCap to overcome these issues.

Dave

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”