New Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: New Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Post by G8GKQ » Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi Phil

I've identified a fix for the streamer autostart issue. It's more of a work-round, because I still can't find the exact cause. I need to do some more testing, but hope to release it tomorrow.

As for the switching polarity, it was mechanised that way because the RPi GPIO pins only have internal switchable pull-down resistors, not pull-ups. The relevant code is in rpidatv/src/rptr/main.c and is a complex change, followed by a recompile. You are welcome to give it a try, but note that the fix for the autostart is also going to be implemented in that file. I would suggest a transistor and a few resistors would be a better solution as it would mean that you retain compatibility with future software updates.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Phil

I've just released a new version (201505152) with a workround for this. You will find that, after boot, the stream starts for 5 seconds (jerky, as before) then stops for about 15 seconds and finally restarts running smoothly. Not very elegant, but as you will only hardware boot occasionally I think that it gets around the problem.

Let me know how it goes

Dave

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 am

G'day Dave,

Great work on the update, I have not had a chance to try it out as the raspberry pis' are currently onsite at our new repeater location.

I'll give it a go when I get the Pis' back. (looks like I might have 5v power supply issues at the site too, at the moment)

I also noticed that if the 'keyed stream' is active and power falls to the Portsdown for any reason, if when the power is reapplied to the Portsdown and the keying line is still held high due to a user on the system, the same fault symptoms also exist.

Thanks for your help on getting the setup going and also the new BATC webpage too..

Cheers
Phil.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi Phil

The fix should work in the second scenario that you describe as well. Let me know how it goes

Dave

vk3gmz

Post by vk3gmz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 am

G'day Dave,
Further to the bug fix regarding the easycap devices....

I have done an upgrade of the firmware to the latest as of two days ago via the update option in the Portsdown console menu, and everything is working well, yes the stream starts and stops again momentarily however I think we can all live that.
As I found out it takes a special set of circumstances for the bug to even be an issue in the first place, unfortunate for me it was my situation.

Thanks again for the great work on this project and the new website.... Im still yet to migrate the streams across but will look at this during the week hopefully.

Cheers
Phil.

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi all,
Just found this stream on the forum as I was searching for an answer to my problem. I wanted to use a RPi to stream some RX video to my BATC stream. I had the same sort of problems as above with the stream only running for a short time. I tested the stream from vMix and it worked. With the RPI and Portsdown latest software it only streamed for a short time with the video coming from a camcorder via a video Distribution Amplifier and monitored with a scope. However the other thing that I could not believe at first is that using another video source ( from a HDMI to composite video converter ) the stream would not work at all! The two video sources are going through the same VDA and look the same on the scope and appear OK on a monitor but one streams for 15 seconds and the other refuses to stream.
I will try the voltage and a new easycap from BATC shop ( mine is very old ) but the way one video source worked and the other did not is quite mystifying to me.
Also the way I was starting the stream may have some bearing on the stopping after 15 seconds and I will re-read the other comments above and try again.
Still find it funny the way it will not stream one of the videos as that is the one I use for transmitting!!
It could be that there is a small dc offset on one of the videos looking at the scope but not a vast difference.
Tomorrow more investigation .........

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Martin

The BATC EasyCap is on its way to you. Portsdown is very fussy about the exact chipset of the EasyCap (there are 4 types, which all look identical on the outside) which is why we sell the correct ones in the shop.

Please let us know how the new one works.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

A thought,
Started to use touch screen in December last year, But I had problems on occasion with streaming when using Putty - Kitty.
I was going straight to the Stream Tx button without selecting output to Batc stream from the main menu,
would hold for a several seconds till it timed out.
Easy to check now using the touch screen.

Peter

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”