Portsdown 2018 - Major Software Update

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown 2018 - Major Software Update

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 pm

I have just published the "Portsdown 2018" software update. This delivers a step-change in the functionality available from the touchscreen and makes room for new features in the future.

Most of the buttons on Menu 1 now launch a sub-menu to enable the relevant parameter to be set. There are also 4 preset buttons that can be used to store your commonly-used configurations. Menu 2 is now home to the additional capabilities, such as the Signal Generator and FreqShow. Menu 3 provides facilites to change the preset frequencies and symbol rates. More details here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_%22Portsdo ... 2_Software

The update also introduces the ability to control an attenuator to set the output level for each band, and to configure 4 additional transverter outputs. Details of the transverter switching are here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_2018_Band_Switching. Designs are well advanced for an "8-band switch" board to enable transverter control, and also for an "8-way RF Switch" which will incorporate an amplifier so that, when used with the attenuator, the Portsdown should be able to deliver programmable output levels of between -10 dBm and +10 dBm on any band.

There is one limitation to note: PLEASE DO NOT USE SPACES IN THE PRESET LABELS; use underscores instead. As always, please post details of bug reports here as soon as possible.

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
menu1.jpg
menu1.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 3456 times

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Portsdown 2018 - Major Software Update

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm

I have just posted a couple of minor bug fixes in Version 201802200. These are:

Save Configuration to USB now works, allowing transfer of configuration between Portsdowns.
The band switching logic now works at time of selection, rather than time of next transmission.
Support for the Logitech C920 webcam has been restored. More info: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/C920_Webcam
Attenuator spi clock has been slowed to increase reliability.

No need to update unless you want any of these features.

Dave

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi Dave
I'm holding back from updating because I would like to hear Radio 4 via the RTL SDR DONGLE to make sure it works. I couldn't see the button for it and SAM FM in the 2018 update article. The Lean DVB article on the Wiki has been removed for some weeks so having the capability for the first time comes without the guidebook. The update does look the part and I look forward to the changes. Thank you for your hard work.
David M0YDH

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi David

Yes, I had removed the broadcast stations, but 144.75 and 145.8 are still there on Menu 2. Hope to make the RTL-FM frequency and mode selections user-configurable in a release soon.

Not sure that the LeanDVB Wiki page has ever been written. I think that someone else put the title there to try to persuade me to write it!!

Dave

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks Dave. I'd like a button for FM broadcast station preset as you suggest because it's a good test facility. I guess my son who has an M6 call can transmit a CQ on 144.75 FM for me to hear on the Portsdown and audio amp.

I found the article text in a cached page on Google and restored it to the Wiki. So at least users can, I assume, find the CQTV 252 article to find out what the console menu headings mean . I've a chance to try this out this evening with Portsdown for the first time. Hopefully all good and then I'll update to 2018 latest. :)

cheers

David M0YDH

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”