Touch Screen locked

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G3UKV

Touch Screen locked

Post by G3UKV » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:10 pm

GE... Touchscreen connected to RPi seems to have locked up. Downloaded Dec 18th version - worked first time last week, and since. Now it comes up with Menu 1, but doesn't respond to touching any menu item. Anyone else had this problem? Could it be software corruption or is there a wider problem ?

g0mjw

Re: Touch Screen locked

Post by g0mjw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 pm

I just updated and it's fine. Maybe do a reset but download the latest version first in case if fixes it. Also check the mechanics and the electrics.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi Martyn

It's unusual for a touchscreen to stop working if you haven't moved or changed anything. The first thing that I would check is that there is nothing possibly touching the sensitive area of the screen - the bezel for example.

Next, you could log on to the console, and in the menu select "shutdown and reboot options", then select restore touchscreen. You will see any touch commands displayed as text on the screen. Try moving the screen in its mount to see if anything happens.

If you haven't updated the software, I would think it is unlikely to be a software issue.

Dave

G4uvz

Post by G4uvz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am

I got caught by this! remounted screen in bezel with .5mm spacing all the way round a all is now fine..Thanks to Dave GKQ for the advice!

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks for suggestions Mike, Dave
Tried suggestions - rebooted touchscreen via console. No change. Then re-loaded the current touchscreen/RPi software. No change. I can see responses on Putty whilst pressing different choices on Menu 1, but no change on screen itself. So it appears to be OK. No low-voltage icon appearing on the touchscreen either. UUuummm.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi Martyn

Please could you post (either picture or text) of the responses in Putty to screen touches?

Dave

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Img 1.JPG
Img 1.JPG (211.48 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Img 2.JPG
Img 2.JPG (249.74 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Img 3.JPG
Img 3.JPG (196.38 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Img 4.JPG
Img 4.JPG (176.17 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
Hi Dave
Here are 4 screen images of what happens. Img 1 shows the Putty screen when I link up to the RPi initially.
As I strike random buttons, (say 12 to 30 times) eventually menu 2 or 3 appear - but although every button givers x= and y= values (constantly changing, values even if I press one specific button several times in sequence). You can see this on Img 2-4.
However, apart from sometimes changing between Menus 1, 2 and 3, nothing else changes. The 'green' buttons are unchanged from the boot-up.

Most odd. So the touchscreen is responding to taps, but the output seems to go unchanged, except for the occasional (random) change of displayed Menu.
Martyn
P.S. Hope the attached images are visible - never used a Forum with attachments before. If these are not usable, I'll send same photos via personal e-mail.

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi Dave
As a further postscript to the last msg, I have a gut feeling that the Touchscreen is at fault, as it worked perfectly until a few days ago, and I was getting to grips with the metalwork and layout for the Portsdown. As far as I know, I didn't do anything stupid like bending pins, reversing leads, not matching pin-to-pin when I plugged in etc. In fact the only thing I did was to add the short extension lead to the touchscreen, which initially worked, but of course I have now reverted to plugging it in direct to the RPi.
I have a friend coming round tomorrow with a spare RPi (Mk 2) so I can eliminate that part of the system for any fault. Presumably the Mk2 should work OK with the recommended Waveshare Touchscreen.
Thanks for your time & help.
Martyn

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Martyn

Yes, it seems that your screen has become very insensitive to touch. There is a threshold that has to be reached to register as a touch, rather than just as an x/y coordinate.

It might be worth looking very carefully at the thin ribbon cable that goes from the right hand side of the screen round underneath. It is very delicate and carries the touch signals. I know Colin actually managed to repair his after it got damaged.

The menus should work on a RPi2. No guarantees for any of the other functionality though.

Dave

G4FRE

Post by G4FRE » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Martyn

I Just updated to the latest January version and the touch screen had some very flakey responses. So I did the calibrate touchscreen again and now everything is fine

Have you done a screen calibration recently?

Dave
G4FRE

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”