Touch Screen locked

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G3UKV

Re: Touch Screen locked

Post by G3UKV » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks Dave and Dave for replies.
I thought about the screen calibration, but couldn't get a response from either the touchscreen or the Console menu (beyond initiation) to do it.
Last night, tried it with a borrowed RPi - still no joy.
Sent msgs to Amazon last night, but their system says goods only covered for return/refund for 30 days (Nov. 30). I've appealed under Consumer Rights. Also sent appeal to Waveshare (USA ?) - so we'll see what happens, more in hope than expectation. Meanwhile, I'll order another . . . . .99% sure the module is simply faulty, since it worked fine originally. Thanks again for replies - as it says 'you're not alone'.
73 Martyn

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Martyn,

You are not the only one. My first board from Amazon was very insensitive and got worse over time. I had to order another which was OK and a spare, this time from China, which also works. I had been speaking to Dave about this many months ago and suggested an interface based on pressing actual buttons rather than a touch screen. You would only need two, but ideally 4 or a rotary encoder with a pushbutton. It would probably need to be I2C due to limited free IO (unless we dropped something else) but would also allow other screens to be used (Not HDMI!) I think it just needs someone to develop it and I don't have time.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Mike and Martyn

The exact model of touchscreen is one of those early design decisions that had to be made, and in the absence of any better suggestions, I chose the Waveshare over the Tontec. I have 4 Waveshares now and have been lucky not to have any mechanical or electrical failures (until I connected one up the wrong way - but that doesn't count!).

There are 3 alternatives to the Waveshare.

Firstly, the more expensive, but very impressive, Element 14 7 inch touchscreen works with the following exceptions:

- Composite Video output is not available (I may be able to fix this, but not sure)

- VideoView is not available (the 2fps view of the EasyCap input). This will get fixed.

- Viewfinder in H264 (no sound) modes is not sized correctly. Might get fixed. (OK in MPEG-2)

- Currently FreqShow starts with the default settings, but then the touch doesn't work and you're stuck till you power off.

Santa brought me one for Christmas, so it is now added to the "some support" list.

Secondly, you can control all the transmit modes from the Console.

Third, you can set the transmitter with the settings that you want, and it can boot to "keyed transmit" mode, where all you need is a ptt switch and a shutdown button.

Dave

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks all for your thoughts.
NEW Waveshare touchscreen arrived today. Worked perfectly straight out of the box - so it was simply a failure of the original supplied module after just a few applications. (over about 6 weeks.)
Now to get my replacement/refund from Waveshare/Amazon. They have said they will, but . . . . .
73 Martyn (crooked smiley)

G3UKV

Post by G3UKV » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Replacement arrived yesterday - Touchscreen now fully functional.
Thanks suggestions via this forum. 73 Martyn

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”