7-inch Touchscreen from Element 14

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
KenW6HHC

7-inch Touchscreen from Element 14

Post by KenW6HHC » Tue May 23, 2017 3:54 pm

I have been following your TX SOFTWARE CAPABILITIES thread discussions with Bevan VK5BD about the 7-in touch screen from Element 14. I am hopeful that I am correctly reading your response when you said
I'll be able to incorporate your change into the main build and deliver it in the next update.
to mean support for the Element 14 touch screen will be available in a future build (after 201705200)???

1) Did I understand your plans for the Element 14 LCD correctly?
2) If yes on Element 14 support, will the Element 14 driver need to be downloaded to the Portsdown software perhaps via a sudo apt-get update command….or will the Element 14 screen device driver be prepackaged in the BATC Portsdown software upgrade?

I like the mechanical design of the 7-in touch screen from Element 14 , it makes mounting the DISPLAY (and the RPi-3) quite easy.

73…de Ken W6HHC

g0mjw

Re: 7-inch Touchscreen from Element 14

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Oh no - really? I just ordered a replacement Waveshare for my non-working touch functionality.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Ken and Mike

No, I will not be supporting any other screens. However, if someone else works out what changes need to be made (as Bevan had) and I can incorporate them without jeopardising core functionality, I will try to do so.

I would caution against any screen that uses HDMI input as the use of HDMI is not fully compatible with the rpidatv software.

Dave

G4HTZ

Post by G4HTZ » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 pm

g0mjw wrote:Oh no - really? I just ordered a replacement Waveshare for my non-working touch functionality.

Mike
Hope you have better luck than me mike ...my replacement screen from a different supplier didn't work either ..not convinced it's the screens but don't have much knowledge on the portsdown so have parked it in the unfinished project box for now :D
Steve
G4HTZ
Steve G4HTZ

ASHEN nr Sudbury JO02GB52 90m ASL

70cms DATV portsdown 4 + RYDE rx …14 or 18 ele yagi …LNA …hopefully 100w amp at some point

KenW6HHC

Post by KenW6HHC » Wed May 24, 2017 2:43 pm

To Dave G8DKQ and Bevan VK5BD,

Dave...thanks for the clarification. BTW it does NOT appear that any HDMI cable from RPi-3 is connected to the Element 14 LCD. The Element 14 unit does use a Display Serial Interface (DSI) ribbon cable from the RPi-3, but I have not sorted out the serial protocol yet,

Bevan....from your postings in the TX SOFTWARE CAPABILITIES thread, it sounds like you have gotten the 7-inch Touchscreen from Element 14 working with the Portsdown software (just in need of the display rotation modification). I have two questions:
  • 1) Just wanted to confirm what Dave had asked earlier in the other thread, I think you just responded that you use the Element 14 LCD by setting the Portsdown software console for the Tontech35 menu selection? Is that correct.

2) Can you post any other changes you had to make to the Portsdown software...like how did you get the Element 14 LCD device driver onto the Portsdown image? Perhaps it was already installed on the latest Raspbian Jesse Lite software distribution??
I appreciate any guidance...de Ken W6HHC

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm

G4HTZ wrote:
g0mjw wrote:Oh no - really? I just ordered a replacement Waveshare for my non-working touch functionality.

Mike
Hope you have better luck than me mike ...my replacement screen from a different supplier didn't work either ..not convinced it's the screens but don't have much knowledge on the portsdown so have parked it in the unfinished project box for now :D
Steve
G4HTZ
It arrived - its a V4 and it worked first time. Then after a few minutes it stopped working - maybe I crashed the program. Power down and back up and it worked again. Every time I press I see the green LED light. That didn't happen with the older screen - at least not reliably.

Mike

G4HTZ

Post by G4HTZ » Thu May 25, 2017 6:38 am

g0mjw wrote:
G4HTZ wrote:

Mike
Steve
G4HTZ
It arrived - its a V4 and it worked first time. Then after a few minutes it stopped working - maybe I crashed the program. Power down and back up and it worked again. Every time I press I see the green LED light. That didn't happen with the older screen - at least not reliably.

Mike
Hi mike
Glad you got yours working
Wonder where you got your screen from
Cheers
Steve
Steve G4HTZ

70cms DATV portsdown 4 + RYDE rx …14 or 18 ele yagi …LNA …hopefully 100w amp at some point

VK5YYY

The Ports Down-Under

Post by VK5YYY » Thu May 25, 2017 12:27 pm

The Ports Down-Under
The Ports Down-Under
WP_000872.jpg (988.48 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
Hi Folks

Here it is the "Ports Down-Under" It's a hybrid using all the good stuff from all our nice friends (a truly internationally inspired project)
Battery powered, big screen (thanks to Bevan VK5BD), 434mhz first LO, U2790B modulator, Minikits upconverter, 841mhz second LO
Nice 23cm combline filter and MiniKits dual stage amp
The prototype was a 200mW version which achieved a solid contact to our local repeater 55Km away (with 18db dish)
The knock off pelican case has a cheap Lincho ebay 1.2ghz panel (trimmed down)that Velcros to it thereby making it fully contained
Rather than use the HDMI cable for the camera a very cheap ribbon is used
The 10000mAhr batteries last quite a while at low power
Two cheap 433mhz and a 23cm Saw filters are used plus the minikits 23cm filter and the combline the output is as clean as a whistle
(We might have gone a bit overboard with the filters)

Ken to answer your question, Dave has incorporated Bevan's code into the latest release which we tested (thanks Dave) so it works with both
Just need the flat ribbon and the extra lines to make the touch work (Bevan figured that out while I made Coffee)

The idea of the project was to make construction a little cheaper than Portsdown and the 1st LO/modulator stage is using mainly old school components
We are 23cm on DVB-S in VK, so a 70cm version would be even more simple, cheaper and easier to construct
I guess we will perfect it in the coming weeks, I'd like to achieve a Watt or two while still remaining on batteries

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu May 25, 2017 2:46 pm

G4HTZ wrote:
g0mjw wrote:
G4HTZ wrote:

Hi mike
Glad you got yours working
Wonder where you got your screen from
Cheers
Steve
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

G4HTZ

Post by G4HTZ » Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 pm

g0mjw wrote:
G4HTZ wrote:
g0mjw wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Same place and supplier as my replacement screen ...

Screen works ok ...displays tx video ok ..changes to putty appear on screen ...just the buttons don't work :D
Cheers for info
Stevan
Steve G4HTZ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”