Transmitter Software Capabilities and Issues (Jessie)

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G3UEQ

Re: Transmitter Software Capabilities and Issues

Post by G3UEQ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:08 am

Hi Dave
Yes, can change stuff from console, enable transmit etc. Its just the touch screen not working, no problem with SSH through Putty. As said, have made new image and tried on different Pi just in case GPIO is U/S, same results.
When enabling touchscreen restore in SSH, there is no active data being shown as I assume should be.
Unfortunately, cannot load original image, lesson to be learnt to keep another SD card!

Guess need new screen..
Cheers
Andy

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Andy

Yes, sounds like the something in the touch circuitry or wiring has failed. There were no changes in recent updates that affected detection of screen touches or the screen driver.

Dave

G3UEQ

Post by G3UEQ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Already had contact with Dave, the problem was confirmed as failure of the touch circuitry in the screen, friend of mine had a spare one so were able to prove quickly the problem. Wonder what caused it?
Andy

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:50 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201803181. This very small change adds support for the Logitech C910 Webcam.

Unless you have a C910 webcam, there is no point in rushing to upgrade to this release.

Dave, G8GKQ

yaumatei

Post by yaumatei » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Dave,

in the file install.sh should after "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" insert "sudo apt-get update", because the dist-upgrade modifies the packet sources and the following installation fails. I have tested it several times.

Walter, DB2BG

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Walter

Which Raspbian image are you using (Jessie or Stretch? What date?), and which repo are you building from (rpidatv or portsdown?). Then I can look at the exact problem.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi Walter

I have just reproduced the issue in the Stretch portsdown build https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... /portsdown. It does not seem to affect the Jessie rpidatv build yet.

Thanks for identifying the fix - I have tested it and now published it in the latest version of the software.

An additional note: The update function on the Stretch Portsdown build does not yet work. I hope to publish a fix soon.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Transmitter Software Capabilities and Issues (Jessie)

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201804020. This is a major release and makes the Portsdown a lot easier to use with less reliance on "Putty". It includes:

Support for Logitech C270 Webcam
Adds variable reset delay for webcams
Updated Test Rig software
Info screen improvements
Set Call, locator and PIDs from touchscreen
Set and select ADF Ref from touchscreen
Commence software update from touchscreen

It is well worth upgrading to this version. Note that there is now another parallel software development: "Portsdown 2018 Stretch" that is compatible with the new Raspberry Pi 3+. As it has a few quirks of its own, I have started another topic to discuss it: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=5438.

I no longer recommend this Jessie version for new builds. Please use the "Portsdown 2018 Stretch" version for new builds.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 am

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201804061 for the Portsdown Jessie build. This is a copy of the enhancements that were added to the Stretch build a few days ago and allows Element 14 7 inch screen users access to FreqShow and VideoView. Note that FreqShow functions in "cursor and trackpad" mode, not touch mode, on the 7 inch screen. Full list of enhancements:

Repairs the linkage between frequency and band in the Console Menu
Element 14 7 inch Display improvements:
- Does not erroneously load TonTec driver
- Implements VideoView without flicker (but at 1.5 fps)
- Allows cursor operation similar to a touchpad in FreqShow
- Reduces info screen text size to fit

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201804251 for the Portsdown Jessie build. This introduces an RTL-FM audio receiver (selected from Menu 2) and improves the visibility of the DATV Express firmware load to help diagnose USB Cable issues. The full list of enhancements is:

Adds a comprehensive RTL_FM voice receiver (see Menu 2)
Corrects SigGen Express Cal above 2000 MHz
Rejects zero-length callsign
Provides more visibility of the DATV Express start-up
Improves utils compile scripts

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”