Modified Minitiouner v2 to pi pico

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
ON7TU

Re: Modified Minitiouner v2 to pi pico

Post by ON7TU » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:48 am

Hello Gareth and Colin.
I have gone trough the wiki page already before. The whole procedure of installing the pico tuner soft is going well.
My concern were the drivers. When using the "standard" drivers from windows, I had two interfaces visible as Com ports
in the Windows device manager. But the were marked with the orange warning triangles.
I was then working with the WinUSB drivers , as they are mentioned in Zadig.
Result is : I see the Pico tuner interfaces as two "USB devices ". No Com port then.
But when connecting with Minitioune software or Open Tuner, I have the message " No USB Device ".
Stopping my Firewall doesn't bring something.
I tried different ports on the PC.
I do not work with original RPi USB cable at this moment. Could this be a solution ?
Or do you see some other issue that I am not aware of?

Lucien - ON7TU

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 am

Minitioune software will not work. Pico tuner is not compatible and as JP is no longer updating Minitioune it will probably never be compatible.

OpenTuner v0.9 or newer should work. You need to make sure that you select the PicoTuner in the settings menu.

Occasionally OpenTuner will not see the device the first time you try, exiting and restarting will usually fix this.

Colin G4EML

ON7TU

Post by ON7TU » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm

OK Colin, thanks for the reply.
Is it correct that both of the interfaces are showing up as "USB devices ", and not as COM port devices ?
I will try again and make some restarts to see what happens.

Lucien ON7TU

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:06 pm

Once PicoTuner is properly installed on Windows 10, it shows up in Device Manager as shown below.

Dave, G8GKQ
Attachments
PicoTuner in Device Manager.JPG
PicoTuner in Device Manager.JPG (23.62 KiB) Viewed 799 times

ON7TU

Post by ON7TU » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:26 pm

OK, thanks a lot Dave,

That's what I have on my screen as well.
I will try with some subsequent restarts in Open tuner. I will also test different USB as this also could be the problem of not finally connecting.

ON7TU -Lucien

ON7TU

Post by ON7TU » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm

Guys I have now established connection with PC . I have replaced the USB cables with original ones from RPi ,and connection was OK.

I still have another issue when working with Open Tuner v0.9 :
I cannot provide power to the LNB. I have the additional PCB with RT5047 chips from Colin G4KLB built into the Minitiouner, but I see that the lines "Enable" and "V_Select" are not set as expected. The Enable line is at low when set with OpenTuner, so the 5047 cannot provide the 18 Volt.
Settings in Opentuner V0.9 are adapted for use with Pico Tuner ( latest adaptation in this version ).
In the terminal I can see that 18 V is "true", but the GPIO pins are staying low.
I do not have this problem when I put in the FT2232 module. Of course for the moment, then I only have one channel working.
I use the latest official version of picotuner software.
Of course I could work with manual switches but this is not the goal.
Does someone have encoutered the same problem ?

ON7TU Lucien

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:28 pm

Yes, it has been noted.

The PicoTuner supports control of the LNB supply in the same way as the FTDI chip. However I don't think Tom has included that in OpenTuner 0.9. I am sure it will be added in a future release.

Colin G4EML

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”