Portsdown 4 screen invert not working...

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g8lce

Portsdown 4 screen invert not working...

Post by g8lce » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 pm

Had a Portsdown go wrong! It is in a Smarti Pi Touch Pro case and the screen went greyed out and then some vertical lines. After some investigation and replacing SD card/software etc (and ribbon cable) I have a working Portsdown 4 BUT when I invert the screen I go back to the greyed out fault! I can get back to upside down screen by using the Web control and inverting the screen again. It must be the screen or RPi I thimk. Anyone else got an answer?

g0mjw

Re: Portsdown 4 screen invert not working...

Post by g0mjw » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:40 pm

Use the recommended screen the correct way up?

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:31 am

It is the recommended screen but with the Smarti Pi case the screen is mounted upside down. I am sure it was working before something happened! I have other Portsdowns where the invert screen worked happily...
I will have to try swopping the RPi then the screen to see if I can find the problem.
Luckily the use of the web console helped find the fault as without that I would have only seen that I had developed a grey washed out screen and would have thought that the Portsdown was dead. As it is the Portsdown is fully working and also the screen apart from it only working using the web console or watching an inverted (upside down due to case design) screen. The web console is always up the correct way.

Martin G8LCE

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Hi Martin,

If it is the right screen then good, but best use it the correct way up. Not sure who Smarti Pi cases are made by but why is the screen upside down? Design fault? The problem itself might be some OS update that has broken the inversion perhaps?

Similar to this https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopi ... 1#p1936141

Mike

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:34 pm

Found the fault!
It is the screen!!!
Replaced the screen and all works fine. The old faulty screen will go into a 'standard' case as it works up the right way....

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”