Portsdown-Step by step minimum system video

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g8lce

Portsdown-Step by step minimum system video

Post by g8lce » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 pm

A few people are being tempted to go digital around the GB3NQ ATV repeater here in Cornwall since a digital output and input was added to the analogue ATV. I decided to show how to download the software from the Internet onto a SD memory card and use it to make a bare Raspberry Pi work as a Portsdown. No screen, SDR or camera just SSH from a Windows computer so it would start people playing. It might also be useful to others who have already got a working system but have not upgraded or want to experiment. Here is the link to the video: https://youtu.be/7zULfBnGRm0
It is over half an hour long as I tried to explain every detail of the setup. Any questions can be fired at me and I know I called it a Raspberry Pi 3a at one point! Sorry the camera work is shakey. There is another few videos in the pipeline to show how to add further additions to this system.

Martin G8LCE

G4HTZ

Re: Portsdown-Step by step minimum system video

Post by G4HTZ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Thanks for the videos you are doing Martin

Whilst I got the original portsdown working eventually.....all this software and firmware stuff leaves me brain dead I’m afraid ...there seems to be a few projects all interlinked on here at the moment .

I’ve got a new Pluto sitting in its box , along with the 7 inch screen ...Think I need a pi 4 to go with it .

I think a few more basics idiots step by step guides would be useful.....if people have the time ...

Anyway ...thanks again

Steve G4htz
Steve G4HTZ

ASHEN nr Sudbury JO02GB52 90m ASL

70cms DATV portsdown 4 + RYDE rx …14 or 18 ele yagi …LNA …hopefully 100w amp at some point

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm

The Pluto can work well with just a Windows PC for DATV TX and also as a Spectrum Analyzer so I will think about those in a video. If you have a Raspberry Pi of any age then you can probably run Portsdown software on it. You may have to run an older version but the method is the same, just the links will be different. I have run one of the original Raspberry Pis as a testcard video source in the past. If you have a Raspberry Pi 3+ then run Portsdown 2020 as in the video. The Raspberry 4 will be the way to go if you have not already got a spare RPi3+ doing nothing. The Portsdown is this thread for now and as you say there are many interlinked projects in it. I am working on the next video which adds the usb hub, usb video input and Lime mini. The 7 inch screen can be added anytime. If you follow the step by step minimum system video and get that working the screen will work once the Raspberry Pi is restarted. Mounting the screen is important as it can be damaged. I have mounted mine in a AMX NXT CV7 case along with the RPi. See the video viewtopic.php?f=103&t=6862 but there are many other examples.

Martin G8LCE

G4HTZ

Post by G4HTZ » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:01 am

Thanks for information Martin
Will,continue ...
Will probably get a pi4 and leave the working original portsdown as it is :D
New mast has arrived Thursday so hopefully be back on atv from home soon
Regards
Steve
Steve G4HTZ

ASHEN nr Sudbury JO02GB52 90m ASL

70cms DATV portsdown 4 + RYDE rx …14 or 18 ele yagi …LNA …hopefully 100w amp at some point

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 am

For those of you who are a year or two behind the rest here is a video I made over a year ago of the Portsdown setup then. 3.5 screen and all!

https://youtu.be/6bivHLurNvI

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”