faulty 7 inch screen?

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
mm0mgb

faulty 7 inch screen?

Post by mm0mgb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:25 am

Don't know if anybody else has seen this or more importantly knows a cure. the second row from the bottom of my 7 inch official RPI screen doesn't respond to touch ( Easy cap, Caption, Audio , Atten, Att Level) or rather the response is from the row of buttons above it, This is in all menus in the Portsdown

I've tried re calibrating, resetting the calibration but to no avail. Latest Update downloaded as well.

Is the screen faulty or is this a software thing I need to master?

Thanks

Andrew MM0MGB

g0mjw

Re: faulty 7 inch screen?

Post by g0mjw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:29 am

Does the bottom row work? If so it sounds like a fault but it would be worth checking through the ssh console what coordinates are returned.

Mike

Also worth checking the right type of screen in selected.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi Andrew

As Mike said, it does sound like a faulty 7 inch screen. I cannot think of any software glitch that would cause the behaviour that you describe.

I suggest that you log in to your system by ssh (instructions below), and then type gui and press return. The x and y locations of screen touches are then displayed in the ssh terminal.

I think that you will end up returning your screen to the supplier.

Dave, G8GKQ

---------------------------------------------------
To log in by ssh:

Find the IP address of your Raspberry Pi using an IP Scanner (such as Advanced IP Scanner http://filehippo.com/download_advanced_ip_scanner/ for Windows, or Fing on an iPhone) to get the RPi's IP address. (Or look it up on Menu2, Info from the Portsdown software)

From your windows PC use Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html) to log in to the IP address that you noted earlier. You will get a Security warning the first time you try; this is normal. Userename pi, password raspberry.

mm0mgb

Post by mm0mgb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks, I have a horrid feeling it’s a duff screen, the bottom row works fine but i’ll Try the coordinates test anyway. It was the official 7 inch rpi screen from rs so should be ok?

Andrew

mm0mgb

Post by mm0mgb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Definitely a faulty screen, new one not giving the issue. It was fine before boxing it up but failed after mounting it. No cracks etc visible, cause, bad luck!

Andrew

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 am

That was unlucky having a faulty screen
This one still works even though it has had a byte taken out of it!!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (68.05 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Martin G8LCE

mm0mgb

Post by mm0mgb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi all,

Thought Id give an update on my fiddling with this issue. The new 7" screen was fine till I boxed up the project. I have a 4U rack box and mounted a 70cms linear in the same box. When I tx with the linear on the touch screen looses its touch function. This seems to be rf on the ribbon cable between the screen and the pi that stops the screen working. I re-routed the amplifier output cable and the issue doesn't now happen. So if you screen behaves erratically it could be this issue. I do like the bitten Screen!

Andrew

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”