WiFi tethering.

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
M5TXJ

WiFi tethering.

Post by M5TXJ » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi Folks,
I've set up my Portsdown as per the Wiki to access 2 Wifi networks, namely the home network and also my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) as an access point. All seems OK at home where I can stream to and from the Portsdown, check for updates etc with no problem. When away from home I can connect to the phone as confirmed on both devices, I can check for updates but I cannot receive streams, I just get the "waiting for stream" message constantly. Has anyone any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: WiFi tethering.

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi Dave

Please check that you can receive a stream on a PC or other device tethered to your mobile phone. Some network operators block some protocols, and also the bandwidth (576kb/s) can be challenging for mobile networks.

The other test to do is to set up the WiFi so that only your phone is in the wpa_supplicant.conf file and see if that makes any difference.

Once you've done those tests, I'll have a clue as to where to look for the problem.

Dave

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks Dave,
I'll give all that a try later and report back. I've also got a 3G router in my van which I'll try connecting to too!
I'm sure you must dread my callsign appearing by now!
73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 am

Tried the test on my laptop last night and it won't receive the Flash streams through mobile broadband; HTML 5 are fine.

My supplier is EE.

Last night the only one I could see was the G8DRK stream.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4CPE

Post by G4CPE » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am

Just setup mobile wifi for Arthur G4CPE. Streaming works both ways on BT mobile broadband.

Must be down to supplier specs.

Steve
M0SKM

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:50 pm

The Portsdown only looks at the flash stream from the BATC server (even if the HTML5 stream is available) so that's what you need to test.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”