Open Remote Operation

Latest News and Discussion about the use of the DATV transponder on Es'hail-2
EA3GNU

Open Remote Operation

Post by EA3GNU » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:26 pm

Dear forum,

This is my first post to the BATC Forum. My name is Alberto and I'm based in the metropolitan area of Barcelona. I'm setting up my station in my new home and the QO-100 ground station one of my whishes.
I'm doing my research, understanding the elements needed for a proper QO-100 SSB and DATV ground station. It is not easy but it seems doable. I'm also trying to contact other HAMs on my area to share experiences and doubts since I still don't have any experienced contacts.

During my planning, one idea has come to my mind. I think it is possible to build a TX station that could be operated fully remote. Setting TX parameters/operation via a web client and getting a high quality video feed via SRT into OBS. This would allow for a remote operation that could be shared with any HAM anywhere, just like the remote stations for HF. No need to say that anyone using the station would need to be properly licensed.

I'm here to ask what kind of problems a station like this could cause, and if this could even be allowed at all.

I understand that this is a complex matter, but the idea of sharing a station with other HAMs that do not have one but want to use the transponder from time to time seems really encouraging to me.

Please share your thoughts with me!

73 de Alberto EA3GNU

G8KWR

Re: Open Remote Operation

Post by G8KWR » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:04 pm

Hello Alberto, I believe that remote operation as you describe is outside of the "rules" that apply to QO-100 use.

Remote Operation via QO-100
Remote operation of an amateur radio station via QO-100 is only permitted if the station belongs to the operator himself and is operated at his own location. He must always have full control over the station and in particular be able to switch it off immediately if, for example, interference occurs. Special cases of permitted unmanned and automatically operating stations applies only to disaster radio communication over QO-100 in humanitarian emergency situations and require both permission from the operator of the space station, in this case represented by AMSAT-DL, and special permission from the regulatory authority responsible in the respective country. The international and national legal regulations must always be complied with by the operator. The above agreement is in accordance with AMSAT-DL, AMSAT-UK, QARS and Es’hailSat.

Remote operation used by groups (private or club stations, gateway traffic) is not wanted by the satellite operator.

EA3GNU

Post by EA3GNU » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:14 pm

This makes sense.

I can always invite someone to join the stream via SRT feed, but the station has to be operated by me.

What I can not do is to turn on the station remotely, outside from the station, and join via a 4G bonding encoder.

Understood, thanks!

F1FCO

Post by F1FCO » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:10 pm

hello,
look at the splendid software of F1ATB : Remote SDR

here : https://f1atb.fr/fr/remote-sdr-v5/
https://github.com/F1ATB/Remote-SDR

fantastic software, try it !

73s from F1FCO, Pierre.

Return to “Es’hail-2 - DATV Transponder”