5G and QO100

Latest News and Discussion about the use of the DATV transponder on Es'hail-2
G7JTT

5G and QO100

Post by G7JTT » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:06 pm

Afternoon all,

As some of you maybe aware my power up to the satellite has been dropping off for sometime, so I've been strippng the system down and checking the power at each stage. Anyway I seem to be back at a reasonable power level and not really sure why, but not go'na worry hi.

So whilst I had the POTY off I thought I'd try out a new LNB I'd resently bought that claimed to have a very low phase noise and a 5G filter fitted. So after fitting the LNB on the dish I went back into the shack to see the beacon but it wasn't stable. The MER was pulsing up and down all over the place. As I had the RTL SDR still connected as well I thought I'd look at the band to see is I could what was going on. What I saw was broadband signals appearing across the band. The signals appeared to be pairs of signals at least as wide as the beacon. Looking who uses 700MHz it appears to be for 5G use.

When I returned to my original LNB everything was fine, so not quite sure why the 5G is getting into the new LNB especially if it's supposed to have a filter for 5G ? So if anyone is having issues decoding signals from QO100 it may be worthwhile looking at the spectrum to see if 5G could be part of the issue.

73 John G7JTT

G4EWJ

Re: 5G and QO100

Post by G4EWJ » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:49 pm

Wouldn't the filter also be reducing the QO-100 signals? Which LNB was that?

CH55 (740MHz) was turned off at the Winter Hill transmitter in Lancashire last week, so I expect 5G will be active around here shortly.

Brian

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi Brian it's a INVERTO single LNB blue.
I hadn't thought about it also reducing the QO100 signal too, I assumed it would of been a filter on the input ?

The 5G mast is not very far from me, I'm just glad it's not affecting the main LNB.

73 John

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:31 pm

The filter will be in the IF John. If you are using an external reference, change it to get an LO of 9.5 GHz to raise the IF to 990MHz and then filter out the 5G before it gets to the Minitiouner. Not sure what impact these 5G signals will have on the new wideband sky LNBs.

Mike

Return to “Es’hail-2 - DATV Transponder”