comments on this dish from ebay

Latest News and Discussion about the use of the DATV transponder on Es'hail-2
G4WIM

comments on this dish from ebay

Post by G4WIM » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 am

I'm considering one of these 1.8M dishes and fitting it with a dual feed, but was wondering about the gain, alignment and feed issues.

Any comments ?

Regards Tim

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8M-Satelli ... ctupt=true

G4EWJ

Re: comments on this dish from ebay

Post by G4EWJ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am

I was guest operating one of these last week. It's the same construction as the 2.4m we use at G3NWR. It doesn't fit together perfectly, so it's unlikely to give the expected gain on 10GHz, but seems to work fine at 2.4GHz. It's likely to rust and it would need to be well supported in gales, but for the price it's pretty good.

I'm not sure if it comes with the dish centre plate or the LNB holder, but the arms will take a C-band LNB holder. The arms may need some extra support to stop the feed twisting.

Brian

G4IUG

Post by G4IUG » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:29 pm

In the past these were for C Band use.

Dave
Ex G6ANG/T and G8EAO

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 pm

thanks for the comments - one of my concerns was performance degradation at 10GHz due to mechanical alignment / distortion.

I might opt for a 1.2M dish which is rated to 10GHz on the basis of it being a compromise of size and gain when compared to this 1.8M dish.

Regards Tim

VK5YYY

Post by VK5YYY » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:19 am

I've sold these to customers in the past as a cheap alternative, they are ok, don't over tighten the bolts, ground mount
Most Chinese dishes are engineered to a point, but have cheap construction
There is a Ku band adapter, but primarily used on C band, solid is better than mesh for performance
The main problem with distortion is the freight man being rough, if you can pick it up and inspect the packaging, that might be good
Rust won't occur for a couple of years, doesn't effect gain much, but looks bad, at which time give the dish to someone you don't like
Locate in a sheltered spot and add struts between the rim and something solid or the back of the dish if you are worried about flexing

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

G3VZV

Post by G3VZV » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Amazingly one of these dishes is featured on the front page of the latest CQ-TV - thank you Frank. I would agree with what has been said but the one in the picture has been outside already for> 2 years and no sign of rust except for the nuts and bolts. I would therefore suggest that they are replaced with stainless ones.

Mine is not ideally placed - under some trees and looking between two tree trunks and over a hedge and rooftop so probably does not have a completely clear view. Currently it has an Octagon at the feed point which is, no doubt, not illuminating it properly but the beacon has an MER of 8. When I hung an RUH patch by the side of the LNB to try uplinking the signal was v loud!

The arms seem strong enough...

Graham G3VZV

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:55 pm

thanks for the further comments, plus it would help with the uplink erp where some mechanical distortion would not be quite so noticeable.

I have a location for it which is out of sight except for the cows in the fields ! But it would be very exposed and need a good sound concrete base.

I already have a 80cm dish on a pole which is concreted in place that would easily support a 120cm Ku dish - so to trying to decide which path to take....

Return to “Es’hail-2 - DATV Transponder”